10 Long-Distance Moving Tips
Are you planning a long-distance moving trip and wondering how to prepare? If so, you're not alone. While 16% of Americans moved each year 20 years ago, new data shows that 10.1% of U.S. citizens moved in 2018.
Having a plan in place before moving over long distances will help you stay organized and ensure all of your belongings arrive safely and in one piece.
How to Move Long-Distance
When moving long-distance — especially across the country — it's best to have a solid plan in place to help ease any tension you may be feeling. Here are 10 things to keep in mind when planning a long-distance move:
- One year rule: During the packing process, you may come across items you haven't seen in a year, or perhaps never used. Using the one year rule will help you downgrade and get rid of things you probably don't need.
- Follow a packing timeline: Because a long-distance move is a life-changing event, it's crucial to follow a packing schedule. Contact a moving company in your area at least three months before the move. Then, make sure you follow a timeline of moving out tips, including making time to declutter and packing your items by category.
- Change your address: Changing your address ahead of time can save you stress down the road and might be one of the most critical must-dos when planning a long-distance move.
- Relax: One of the best tips for moving over a long distance is to relax. Remember that moving is a process. It can help to take some time out of every day to relax. Remind yourself that not everything will go as planned — and that's okay.
- Move during the off-season: If you're looking to save money during your long-distance move, try to plan the transition during the off-season. Since June, July and August are the most popular months to move, according to the U.S. Census Bureau, we suggest you make your move sometime between September and May.
- Make sure you have working jumper cables: It's always better to be safe than sorry when moving long distances. Make sure your jumper cables work. If not, grab a new pair!
- Invest in a portable charger: We all have many uses for our phones, but when it comes to long-distance moving, a charged device can mean the difference between sleeping in a broken-down car or calling a tow truck and finding a place to stay overnight.
- Wrap your furniture: Use moving blankets to protect your furniture pieces from dents, chips and scratches when moving long distances.
- Take your car to a mechanic: If you're planning on driving long distances, going the extra mile to ensure your vehicle is prepared may save you considerable time and money in the long run. Take your car to a shop and tell them you're going on a trip and want to make sure your vehicle is equipped for the drive.
- Get estimates on moving companies, packing services and trucks: Moving long distances almost always requires the help of a professional. Hiring a moving company may also help ease some of the anxieties associated with the move. After figuring out how much stuff you have, get a reliable estimate of how much it costs to hire movers and rent a truck.
Trust BNT Movers With Your Move
We hope these tips help you with your long-distance move. Maybe you'll even have a little fun in the process!
Since 2006, BNT Movers has been committed to taking the stress out of the moving process. We can help you move long distances, whether you're relocating within a state, across states or to another part of the country. Our fully insured and licensed staff will transport all your belongings safely — whether you need movers in Clarks Summit, PA, Stroudsburg, PA, or as far as Jim Thorpe, PA.
Supported by Our Customers
"They are a wonderful moving company all the men are always respectful they work quick and smart amazing customer service highly satisfied with them."
Gabriella, Satisfied customer
QUALITY MOVING SERVICES
Call Us Today: (570) 842-MOVE
BNT Movers is a fully licensed and insured moving and storage company
BNT Movers offers high-quality moving and storage services to the entire continental United States. We will get your belongings to the new destination safely and on-time. National moving services and international shipping is available through our reliable team of professionals. Senior citizen and military for long-distance discounts are available for both shipping and moving services.